Privacy Practice Notice
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Protecting your health information is important to Body Balanced Care (BBC). We follow strict laws that require us to maintain the confidentiality of your health information. This notice describes how we protect and use your health information.
Our Organization: This Notice describes the privacy practices of Body Balanced Care (BBC).
We may use and share your information as we:
Providing care for you – We may use your health information and share it with other professionals who are treating you, or with family or friends directly involved in your care, or in paying for your care. We may also use your health information to recommend treatment alternatives, services, or products that benefit you. It is important for you to know that your health information is stored in an electronic medical record. Providers who may access your health information include, but may not be limited to:
· your primary care provider
· the provider who referred you to BBC
· staff that support all the providers involved in your care
BBC strives to prevent people who do not have a right to access your records from doing so. This includes our own employees. We train employees about appropriate access to health information and monitor employee access to our electronic medical record. If we become aware of inappropriate access to health information, we take appropriate action.
Bill for services – We may use and share your health information to bill and get payment from health plans or other entities.
Run our organization – We may use and share your health information to run our practice, improve your care, evaluate our services, and contact you when necessary, e.g., to remind you of an appointment. We may also share information with third parties who assist us with your treatment, payment, and other administrative functions. These parties are our “business associates,” and are required to protect your information just as we do.
We may also use or share your health information in other ways permitted by law. For example we may:
Help with public health and safety issues – We may share health information about you for certain public health and safety purposes, such as: preventing disease, helping with product recalls, reporting adverse reactions to medications, reporting suspected abuse or domestic violence, or preventing or reducing a threat to anyone’s health or safety.
Comply with the law – We will share information about you if state or federal laws require us to do so. For example, we may share information with the United States Department of Health and Human Services in connection with a review performed by that department to audit our compliance with federal privacy law.
Respond to organ and tissue donation requests – We may share health information about you with organ procurement organizations.
Work with a medical examiner or funeral director – We may share health information with a coroner, medical examiner, or funeral director when an individual dies.
Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and other governmental requests – We may use or share health information about you to address workers’ compensation claims; for law enforcement purposes; with health oversight agencies for activities authorized by law; and for special government functions, such as military, national security, and presidential protective services.
Respond to lawsuits and legal actions – We may share health information about you in response to a court or administrative order, or in response to a subpoena.
******* In some situations, you can tell us your choices about what we share. In these cases, you have both the right and choice to tell us to:
· Share information with your family, close friends, or others involved in your care
· Share information in a disaster relief situation
You may authorize us to use or share your health information, or revoke your authorization, at any time by completing the required forms available in our Office.
Your Rights Concerning Your Health Information
You have the right to:
· Receive a copy of this privacy notice.
· Receive a copy of your paper or electronic medical record. This includes medical and billing records. Fees may apply. Under limited circumstances, we may deny access to a portion of your health information and you may request a review of the denial.
· Correct your paper or electronic medical record.* You may ask us to correct health information about you that you think is incorrect or incomplete. Correction of our electronic medical record occurs by amending the record rather than deleting or erasing information.
· Request confidential communication. You can ask us to use a different way, or telephone number or address to communicate with you. You may make this request in writing during Set-up.
· Ask us to limit the information we use and share. You can ask us NOT to use your health information for treatment, payment, or our operations. We are not required to agree with your request, and may decline if it will affect your care, or is not feasible.
· Ask us to not share certain health information with your insurer. If you pay for a service or health care item “out-of-pocket” and in full, you can ask us not to share that information with your health insurer. We will agree, unless a law requires us to share that information.
· Receive notification if there is breach of your health information. We will notify you in writing about a breach of your health information and provide detailed information and instructions.
· Get a list of those with whom we have shared your information for reasons other than treatment, payment, or administrative purposes. Your request must include a specific time period. The first accounting is free but a fee will apply if more than one request is made in a 12month period.
· Choose someone to act for you. If you have given someone medical power of attorney, or someone is your legal guardian, that person can make choices about your health information. Documentation of your choice is necessary.
If you have concerns or wish to file a complaint, contact: Office Manager 3315 W Mayflower Ave STE 4, Lehi, UT 84043 (801) 224-3031 E-mail: email@example.com
We will investigate all complaints and will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint. You may also file a written complaint with the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services at http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html.
BBC is required by law to:
· Maintain the privacy and security of your health information
· Notify you promptly if a breach occurs that may have compromised the privacy or security of your health information
· Follow the terms and provide you with a copy of BBC’s Notice of Privacy Practices.
We reserve the right to make changes to this notice at any time. Current notices will be available at BBC facility and on our website, http://www.bodybalancedcare.com . You may also request a copy of this notice, from any of our employees.